St Mary’s Abbey is a substantial property in Colwich between Rugeley and Stafford. The early history of the property is obscure but the first house was built in 1767 as a shooting box. From 1820 a substantial new building was constructed in the Gothick style for Viscount Tamworth who died before completion. In 1836 it was purchased by a community of English Benedictine nuns and was their home until 2020 when the community became too small to continue. The community formed in 1652 in Paris based on an earlier community living in Cambria in 1623. Persecuted in the French Revolution the community had fled to England in 1795. At its largest there were 40 nuns here. At present the Lady Abbess and a chaplain remain to care for the property which is for sale. The community made many alterations over the nearly 200 years they were here but much of the Gothick house remains.
For more information please to to Events









